The thyroid gland is a small sized gland in the body which is located in front of the windpipe and works with the pituitary gland in order to know how much hormone is needed to be secreted to keep the body functions in proper condition. What this gland does is that it takes iodine and converts it into thyroid hormones. When the thyroid stops working properly, several health conditions can be caused and this is why it is important to keep it working perfectly. For this, the diet we take plays a very important role. There are many diet tips and suggestions that can help you ensure good thyroid health and some of them have been given below.
- Eat the right vegetables and fruits:One of the most important tips to ensure that your thyroid keeps functioning properly is to eat the right vegetables and fruits. Fruits and vegetables that are high on antioxidants such as cherries, bell peppers, blueberries, tomatoes and squash etc must be consumed. At the same time, the fruits and vegetables consumed must depend upon the exact thyroid problem. For example, those who suffer from hypothyroidism must avoid anything that belongs to the cabbage family as these foods may interfere with thyroid functions. Some of these include kale, broccoli, spinach, cabbage and Brussels sprouts.
- Avoid refined and processed foods: Another way to ensure that you have good thyroid health is to avoid processed and refined foods. Some pre-packaged and processed foods include sugars, pastas, cookies, cakes, breads and others. These can be substituted by fresh meals which have as little premade ingredients as possible. For example, avoid eating instant oatmeal in the morning but rather switch to steel-cut oatmeal and mix it up with spices and nuts etc. Stop the use of canned vegetables and rather replace it with fresh vegetables as much as possible.
- Avoid tobacco products and alcohol:Alcohol and caffeine can have an impact on your thyroid health. Those suffering from hyperthyroidism should always consult their doctors before using any beverage with caffeine in it such as soft drinks, tea and coffee.
- Boosts Intelligence: Since iodine is needed to beat thyroid disorders, you must ensure that you get it in sufficient amounts. Iodine can be supplemented to your diet by eating the foods that are grown in soil like garlic, mushrooms and onions etc. Another way to get iodine in your diet is by eating meat that comes from organic grass fed animals. Table salt is yet another source of iodine.
- Raise your intake of selenium:The quantity of selenium that you intake through the method of supplementation has a huge impact on your overall health. So it is important to add more foods which contain this mineral to your diet. Some of these include tuna, Brazil nuts, oysters, liver chicken, shrimp and turkey etc.
- Other ways:You can also include Vitamin A supplements to your diet as its regulated thyroid metabolism and one way to increase this vitamin is by eating foods like carrots, sweet potatoes and squash etc.